Friday, June 26, 2015

Torre di Pisa – and Brain Perception

When I first see something in person (as compared to pictures—the ones that induced me to add that something to my bucket list), it sometimes seems less impressive. Other times, it far exceeds my expectations. The Leaning Tower of Pisa falls into the latter category. Pisa, the capital city of the Province of Pisa in Italy, is perhaps best known worldwide for the bell tower of the city’s cathedral. And, yes, it definitely is leaning. Its weight is estimated at 15,000 tons. The tower has 296 or 294 steps (the seventh floor has two fewer steps on the north-facing staircase). Prior to restoration work done
between 1990 and 2001, the tower reportedly leaned at an angle of 5.5 degrees but it now leans at about 3.99 degrees. The top of the tower is displaced horizontally 3.9 meters (12 ft 10 in) from where it would be if the tower were perfectly vertical. What a treat for me and my brain to see it up close and personal!

No comments: